Thursday, September 06, 2012

My Lust Has Been Kindled

So last week I was in Barnes & Noble, and I took advantage of a lurking-CSR-free moment to play with the new nooks. The original one always frustrated me, so I was happy when my loving husband got me a Kindle for Christmas. I liked it better (more intuitive navigation) and he eliminated the "do I want one/I don't need one" debate I couldn't get out of my head.

Obviously, since the 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (pictured left, with the awesome skin my brother gave me; see below for the back side), all e-book readers have gotten progressively better. Well, in theory.

I don't like the Kindle Touch. The screen is darker and has a slightly gold tint compared to the cleaner gray of the previous generation, and the touch sensitivity is unbearable now that I'm used to my iPod. So if I *had* to replace my Kindle with a Kindle, I'd stick with the keyboard.

Anyway, like I was saying, I tried out the nook in B&N. I liked it. The touch screen is nice, the navigation much better, and the Glowlight is cool compared to using an external light that causes a glare or even worse, a backlight. So I was thinking that if I *had* to replace my Kindle, I'd get a nook.

But then I bought a book from B&N for the nook app on my iPod, for comparison purposes to the Kindle app. And I'm back to being supremely annoyed. I can't necessarily blame nook. It's a self-published book, so the formatting problems could be from the author or the formatter they hired. But I get maybe two paragraphs on the screen and then a big empty space. Even for a tiny screen, I have to swipe way too often.

And NOW. *cue angels singing* Amazon announces Kindle Paperwhite.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you already know I'm a gadget girl. I LOVE gadgets. Electronic ones, simple ones, cool ones that have no practical purpose. But I also love books—and that's still true, even if more than half of my reading is digital nowadays. So wanting an e-book reader has never been simple for me. I never really lusted for one.

Until now. OMG, I want the Kindle Paperwhite so bad I can taste it. The size, the screen, the special lighting. The price is affordable, too. I love the 3G but would do just fine with wireless, and I think I'd like getting special offers on the screensaver. At least it would change. I am so freaking tired of the same fusty old classic authors all the time.

Have you checked out the new Kindle line? What do you think?

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I was checking it out earlier this evening. I want one! But two kids in college, I might be disappointed.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I have a year to go before I need to pull my head out of the sand. :) You know, it would make a GREAT anniversary present. Too bad my husband doesn't real my blog. LOL