Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thankful

The one societal holiday tradition I adhere very strongly to is acknowledging at Thanksgiving all the things I'm grateful for.

This year I find that very difficult, because I am so blessed as to have very little I'm NOT thankful for. All the most important things--family, health, friends, basic needs--are taken care of, and then some.

So to save you all from boredom, I'm kinda turning this post on its head:

1. I'm thankful for our rear neighbor for stealing wood from our wood pile, because it highlights just how damned good my life is, for this to be the worst thing I'm dealing with.

2. I'm thankful for the "check engine" light on my car going on, because it forced me to schedule routine maintenance I was putting off to avoid spending the money.

3. I'm thankful that our finances are so tight, because it keeps me working hard, focusing on my writing CAREER and not letting anything else interfere and make our sacrifices pointless.

4. I'm thankful for my preteen's mood swings, because being mad at me for not letting her read Betty and Veronica instead of boy issues or something is a good thing.

5. I'm thankful that my office flooded...well, no, I guess I can't find a positive side of that one.

I'm thankful for the world I'm accessing at the moment--for all of you who read this blog and make me believe my dreams will come true. Happy Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie:
I laughed out loud at the wood pile thing. :-)

E

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Yeah, it's funny if it's not your wood being pilfered! And if you don't heat your home with it. Which, luckily, we don't. :)