Thursday, July 20, 2006

Stand Beside the Ocean

I was listening to the radio this morning and that LeeAnn Rimes (I think--I'm a music idiot) song, "I Hope You Dance." She sang the line, "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean." And I thought, "I never feel small."

It's true, and it has nothing to do with being a woman of a certain size. The things that are supposed to make humans feel tiny, like vast starscapes or huge, craggy mountains, just...don't.

So that made me wonder if I'm arrogant. But I don't think so, because I never feel unsmall. I never think of myself as bigger than nature or of humanity as superior to it.

I do feel awed, and amazed, and inarticulate when faced with the beauty and majesty of such things. With the ocean, especially, though, I feel empowered. Like I really could do anything.

Even jog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I...agree. Exactly, actually. I never really do feel small...