Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Obsession and Stuff

I read somewhere--I don't remember exactly where, as the other day I was LJ-hopping and lost the exact reference--anyway, I read someone asking about the logo for Kripke scrap metal, which is the same as the logo for Kripke productions, Kripke being the creator of that TV show, Supernatural.

Now, granted, that question came about due to a Google alert. The person wasn't surfing scrap metal websites. But there were plenty of comments on that blog post from people who knew allllll about Kripke scrap metal and the connection to Eric Kripke, that magnificent bastard.

And my husband thinks I'm obsessed?

The ironic thing is that I can't point out the discussion to him as evidence that I may be passionate but I'm not talking about scrap metal, because the very act of me pointing out the post shows that I'd been reading it, which really belies my whole assertion.

And anyway, I found it very interesting that the Kripke scrap metal company has a link for Supernatural on their links page. So I am probably a bit above passionate, anyway.

Speaking of obsession, though...

I heard Jared Padalecki and Sandy McCoy broke up, after a very short engagement that followed a multi-year relationship. That's a "too bad" thing on par with hearing that someone you knew in high school but haven't seen in 10 years broke up with their four-year girlfriend or fiancé. I hear there are scandalous rumors and people taking "sides" and crap like that. I joke about passion vs. obsession, but that's unhealthy. People shouldn't be so intense about something that has nothing to do with them and never could.

On other topics...

I read a shortened version of this in Parade, I think. I had the same reaction as this post (scroll down beyond the video).

I'm sure those big-time authors would tell someone like me, who wrote the equivalent of three of their books last year, that I'm a hack and can't live up to the level of their magnificent prose. Whether or not they'd be right is a matter of opinion, of course, but more importantly, their attitude is a slap in the face of all their readers. That's what really drives the publishers to want at least a book a year. They want that because the readers want it. What higher compliment is there for a reader to close your latest book and immediately clamor for more? But no, they have to whine about pressure and hamster wheels and quality.

I have no idea what their schedules are like, but I know excellent writers who write more than one book a year, promote them, handle all the business of writing, and not only "have a life" but do some damned amazing charity work. And some who do all that, AND have day jobs.

If I could write one book a year and have the kind of income that would pay for both my kids' college educations in one check, I don't think I'd be complaining.

2 comments:

MJFredrick said...

Yeesh, what whiners those authors in that article are! I mean, it's their JOB, their fulltime job, and they can't find time to do it?

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Seriously!

I mean, I get that everyone works at their own pace, but I know that the more you write, the faster you write, generally speaking. And they all write the same kinds of books each time, so it's not like they're trying new things. Like, Cornwell's characterization and worldbuilding are pretty well established, for example. :)