Thursday, September 03, 2009

Cohesive Fail

I can't seem to post a single-topic post this week. *shrugs*

I'm doing some Facebook catching up right now, and this appears a lot:

" No one should die because they cannot afford health care, and no one should go broke because they get sick. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day."

At first, who posted it made sense. The first three or four were authors, and we're a small world. But then I saw Christopher Lennertz, a composer (video games, movies, and SUPERNATURAL), who is very much not in the same world. Kinda cool.

I don't care how many people tell us technology is distancing us from each other, I keep seeing more and more ways it's doing the opposite.

~~~~~~~~~~~

So today Number One was telling me about this story she's reading in English. She gives a little rundown of the story, and says as she read, first thing she thought was "The Benders!" I said, "Ray Bradbury, The Most Dangerous Game" and she was floored that I knew what she was talking about. *snort* Kids.

(But srsly, as good as Bradbury is, and as teachable as that story is, why does generation after generation get taught the same musty old literature? How about some contemporary stuff that comments on the human condition NOW? Mix it up a little, people.)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Productive day today. Cleaned my office (whoa, there's carpet in here!) and did my filing, which necessitated spreading the foot-tall pile over the pool table. To-do list is decimated. Not really smaller, but it was a good day.

Now I'm off to watch some Supernatural season 4 DVD bonus features and write an analysis for Supernatural Sisters! Check it out. After midnight. Central time.

Night!

5 comments:

Ava Quinn said...

You sound very productive. I'm jealous as hell. *shoots evil glare in your cyber direction*

Yay Supernatural! I started rewatching, without special features. I have yet to watch any of the special features on any of the dvds. Hmmm. I think I need to remedy that.

See you tomorrow?
M3

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Sorry. Not trying to make anyone jealous! Productivity has been in short supply here lately. :)

Yay Supernatural! I tend to rewatch the eps without the special features, too, but the Gag Reel is a MUST. This one is the longest one yet!

Yep, I'll be there! Can't wait for your talk!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm so with you on teaching the musty old literature. Because it was good twenty years ago doesn't make it so now. I could go on and on. Didn't buy season 4 yet.

Shannon Stacey said...

TK had to read The Most Dangerous Game last night. I had to read it in high school. My husband, who's 53, had to read it in high school.

I've never seen Supernatural. We've seen the intro a few times, because we watch Smallville, but we missed the opening shows and I can't jump into a series late, so we've seen none.

Sad.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I wonder how long something has to be in publication before it's considered "classic" and worth teaching in high school? :)

You'd like Supernatural, Shannon. I totally get the not jumping in late thing, though, and this is a series that doesn't lend itself well to it.

Someone get Shannon a set of DVDs, stat!