Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Triumphs and Frustrations

Today was loaded with triumphs and frustrations.

I spent the entire--and I mean ENTIRE day working on the kids' computers. They had a .NET problem for the past year that I've tried to fix intermittently, but never could get working right.

Triumph
Today I found the right utility and got that taken care of on both computers. That enabled me to load service pack 2 on both, so they're fully updated now.

Frustration
Number One's computer is having major problems, though. I bought Registry Mechanic and ran that, hoping the startup problems it detected would solve the issue, but it didn't.

Triumph
I researched the problem, and many similar issues seemed to be solved by replacing the PSU (power supply unit). So I went and bought a PSU and swapped them out. That's the triumph. I'm always proud of my success at techie stuff like that. But it's marred by...

Frustration
It still didn't solve the problem. So I'm going to have to take the computer to someone, unless one of my super-smart blog readers can tell me what is probably wrong when the computer turns on but won't boot up--the power button stays orange and everything has power, especially the fan, which revs to jet engine levels. We power it down, then try again. And again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again. And then one more time. And then it boots, and is fine. Until we shut down or restart, and go through it all over again.

Triumph
My iPod case broke this weekend. It was nothing special, just a slip-in case that came with my iPod Photo years ago, and I use it for my iPod Classic now. But the clip came off, and since I primarily use the iPod when I'm working out or grocery shopping, I MUST have a clip.

So at Staples I also bought a new case. And while I was at it, I grabbed some new earbuds, as the old ones were getting grody (a novelty, since they usually crap out before then). The case is leather and has windows, so I never have to take the iPod out again, and the earbuds slipped divinely into my ears and stayed there without wedging or compressing, which means they won't hurt even when I do an hour on the treadmill or a marathon shopping session.

The even bigger triumph? I saved 9 bucks with my toner recycling rewards. \o/

Your turn. Any triumphs or frustrations today?

5 comments:

Ava Quinn said...

Too many frustrations to list. Most directly relate to blue hairs encounters and sea monkey battles. I won't even start with my writing.

I'm glad you led a balanced feng shui kinda frustration/triumph existence today.

And loved the allusion to one of my favorite SPN eps.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Do we need to take out a hit on the blue hairs? Not contract killing, of course, just scare them a little so they'll leave you alone. If we pool our money, I'm sure we could hire someone who got laid off and is getting desperate. :)

Ava Quinn said...

Works for me!

Cindy Procter-King said...

A friend and I brainstormed a fantastic revision point for one of my manuscripts. The problem? Neither of us in American, but the characters are, and when I posted to research and brainstorming lists I discovered the revision point can't be written how I envisioned. Back to the drawing board!

On the other hand, a second revision point, post-research, will work out wonderfully.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Dang, and yay, Cindy! I mourn for you on the loss of the fantastic revision point. :(