Saturday, December 12, 2009

NOW It’s Christmastime

I love this time of year.  When we can afford it, I love buying gifts for everyone I know (even when they are really hard to buy for).  I love the lights on the houses, I love the snow and, for a short time, even the cold.  I love the parties and school events and activities, and talking to family that I am disturbingly lax about talking to the rest of the year, and visiting with family that’s either usually far away or even that I see weekly.  I admit that I loooove getting presents, and I get to do it TWICE, with my birthday being two days before Christmas.  I just love the holiday season.

But I don’t love it early.

I didn’t do any shopping until a few days ago.  I have one person and one family covered, and some things ordered, but I have about 50 million other things to order, buy, wrap, and ship.  And I like it that way, even if it means I have to pay extra for faster shipping.  I haven’t done Christmas cards yet, or decorated my house (actually, that won’t happen anyway—not beyond the living room).

The earlier everyone else starts focusing on Christmas, the later I want to.  And it’s not just the stores stocking stuff in mid-November or the commercials or the radio stations filled with holiday songs.  It’s phone conversations where they list the few things they have left to do.  My Facebook news feed is full of “I finished shopping for Christmas today” the week before Thanksgiving.   A week later, everything is wrapped.  I understand it and applaud it—I just don’t want any part of it!

So I’ve had no holiday spirit so far this year.  But today we got our tree.  We went to the fire station, selected the first one we saw (looked at others, but this one was perfect), and let them tag it for delivery.  I had to run to the store, and while I was out, it came and J and the girls put it up.  So when I walked in the door, the whole house smelled like fir tree.

And NOW it’s Christmastime.

6 comments:

Ava Quinn said...

First off, I love the new look!! Very nice.

Secondly, I'm right there with you on starting to early. I feel like everyone wants to rush the season, and then December 26th pack it up again.

You and my mom share the same birthday. So, Happy Birthday!
M3

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Thanks! I'd been ready to change it for a while, but hadn't bothered, but then the graphic for my header got pulled, so it looked bad. :)

Glad to find someone else like me! :) And yeah, it doesn't end until January 2. The week between Christmas and New Year's is the BEST. The most relaxed, quiet, joyful week of the year.

Tell your mom happy birthday, and thank you! :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love the new look too. Cooool! And I'm completely with you. I've had no Christmas spirit and today forced myself to go out and shop. Eight stores in four hours. Found most of what I wanted and a few things I didn't expect. Now I'm excited about giving a few of them. Good luck with the shopping.

Tracy Madison said...

I used to be just like you. Now, after that so-not-fun incident a few years ago (when nothing was purchased), I'm a little crazy about getting everything done. I admit it. At least I don't actually start shopping until after Thanksgiving.

But yes, I have to say that I didn't really feel ready for Christmas (presents bought or not) until yesterday, when the tree went up.

Lori Kruza said...

I didn't know your birthday was so close to mine! Mine is the 21st. People always ask me if it was difficult having my bday so close to xmas and I have to admit, my parents were always great about giving my my bday and making it feel like it was still MY day.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Thanks, Sue! I'll be braving the crowds later this week. :)

Tracy, I totally understand. I'd probably feel the same way, given the same circumstances.

Lori, no wonder we get along so well! LOL I got gypped out of parties, but that was it. Everyone went out of their way to make sure I didn't get overlooked, too. :)