1. Every time you hear a song, you think about how the notes would look in Band Hero.
2. Your back aches from hula-hooping Wii Fit.
3. You glare resentfully at your kids as they read all day long and you have to work, while all your new books mock you.
4. Your teeth hurt from all the peppermint (and non-peppermint!) candy and baked goods you’ve been nibbling for two weeks.
5. You spend long stretches of free time in fits of indecision, with games and books and gadgets and toys calling you.
6. Your living room/bedroom/workroom/storage room is overflowing with boxes you can’t throw away, just in case—and they’re sitting on top of five years’ accumulation of similar boxes.
7. If your kid admits they know the real Santa deal, you can consolidate all the Santa wrapping paper and the non-Santa wrapping paper, and discover the storage area would overflow with that…if it wasn’t already stuffed to the rafters with boxes.
8. Christmas is over, so you unconsciously stopped watering the tree, giving it permission to go to the light and leave all its needles behind. On the floor.
9. At any given moment, you are dealing with a manic cat hopped up on the new catnip toys, followed by…
10. …desperately whining cats whose catnip toys have disappeared under the furniture.
Those are my side effects. What are yours?