Monday, February 22, 2010

Delightful Waste of Time

This is what I've spent most of my late afternoon/evening doing.

It's quite a complex thread. At first, it just seems to be a well-supported sigh of exasperation about yet another unfounded copyright infringement lawsuit. But then you start reading the comments, and you can't stop. (Where "you," of course, = "me")

I cracked up several times, such as the Vogon part, and the bun/knish/naif part. I really got a fit of the giggles in the early 200s. That might have been all the Nazi-Internet stuff.

But there was a bit of ego rollercoastering, too. I consider myself fairly intellectual (though my interests are pretty low-brow overall), sometimes bordering on pomposity, depending on the people I'm with. While I'd never call the commenters in that thread pompous, they are FAR more intellectual than I! Even with my college degree, I felt simultaneously uneducated and stupid, and proud that while I could never talk like that, I *could* understand everything they said. Mostly.

Then there were the dissenters, a couple of whom made cogent (albeit completely inaccurate) arguments but did it drive-by, and the one game defender who just kept coming back for more.

Alas, entertainment completely canceled out my unexpected bonus work time with the kids out of the house. I shall *keek* myself now.

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Whew! I stopped reading about halfway through and read none of the comments. I only wish I was making so much money writing someone would accuse me of stealing their story.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I know, me, too!

Did you get as far as the excerpts? I haven't read anything so incomprehensible since I edited geographic abstracts translated from Mandarin. LOL