Wednesday, January 09, 2013

I Love This Freakin' Show

I liked David Silver on Beverly Hills 90210 (the original, obviously). But I didn't love Brian Austin Green until he played Derek Reese on The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I loved his character so much, I was glad they'd canceled the show when they shot him in the head in the finale. I didn't want to watch it without him.

I'll admit that I couldn't handle watching Happy Endings, not even for the few episodes BAG was on. But then Gabe Tigerman tweeted several time about his wife's new show, Wedding Band. I love Gabe. He's a sweet guy and a funny actor, and he sat and chatted with us in the bar at the Supernatural convention for a really long time. One of the reasons we fell in love with him then was because he was so giddy over his wife. So I checked out Wedding Band to see if it was something I'd like to watch. And found that Brian Austin Green is the star! Hell, yeah, it's a show I want to watch!

And you know what? It's really awesome! It may be the show I'm most excited to see every week. Not just because of BAG. The band has four members, all different characters but who fit together believably. They're not caricatures. Yes, the lead singer is a playboy and the drummer is kind of schlubby, but they're smart and hard-working and they really love what they do. But most of all, they care about people. They've helped a couple of dorks get the attention of the girls they crushed on. Arranged a pre-meet for a very nervous Indian bride and groom the night before their arranged marriage. And risked their careers turning a divorce party into a renewal of vows ceremony for the couple whose wedding was their first gig as a band 7 years ago.

The writing is, of course, what makes it so great. The characters are complex, the plotlines interesting and/or fun, and there's plenty of humor. The raunch is held in check, and situations never devolve into ridiculousness.

My only quibble is part of a subplot that had Tommy (BAG) going to a romance book club to meet women. He really got into the books and there were ongoing clever jokes about them, but I didn't like some of the details that were clearly poking fun at romances, lines written by people who obviously don't read them.

If you're looking for light entertainment on a Saturday night, check it out and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I never heard of that show. What channel?

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

It's on TBS Saturday nights at 10, but repeats at 11 and probably other times during the week. :)

It's episodic, so even though you get to know who the characters are early in the episodes, you wouldn't be lost just jumping in.