Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I Don't Want to Hear It

I have a flaw.

Yeah, I know. Close your mouth, it's not that surprising. Ask my husband.

Anyway, this flaw has to do with my theme of indulgence. No, not the part about doing it too frequently. No, not the bordering-on-obsession part. {sigh} Definitely not the getting drunk and dancing on tables part--I mean, really, who do you think you're talking to?

No, my flaw is refusal to be objective. When I really love something, I don't want to admit there can be anything wrong with it. I will argue until I'm blue in the face, make excuses and rationalizations, and twist anything hard enough to make it snap, just to fit what I perceive.

For example, The Lord of the Rings movie(s). Peter Jackson is a filmmaking god. There are no mistakes in the film. No special effects that don't live up to the rest. Frodo's nipple is not showing, you can't see Fangorn Forest because a Rohirrim is standing in your way, and that is
not part of Pippin's foot ripped off, it's wet marsh grass. If Boromir's hand disappears and reappears on Aragorn's shoulder, it was MEANT that way, to give false hope to viewers unfamiliar with the book that he might survive.

See what I mean?

I'm warning everyone because I really love Harry Potter. I'm a bit more than halfway through the audiobook and I don't want ANYONE trying to critique the story with me. It's perfect. Nothing should be done differently, there are no mistakes, JK Rowling is a god. Got it?

But I will admit that Jim Dale singing silly falsetto ballads is pretty funny. :)

No comments: