Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Embarrassment

I'm revising a book for about the third or fourth time. I wrote it targeting Bombshell (one revision on initial creation), then rewrote it as a single title (full revision, then read-through). It was rejected by the agent to whom I submitted it, but revisions were suggested so I did those. Now I'm doing the final read-through to make sure those revisions flow and are consistent.

And oh, lord, the typos.

I pride myself on clean copy. When I proof my galleys, I tend to find only a couple of errors, and usually they're not typographical. So I'm mortified at feel instead of fell, and the extra "the" and way too many more.

"So what?" you say. You're proofing now. No one saw those.

Yeah, you'd think. But no, these errors all seem to be in text that existed in the very initial form of the manuscript. No WONDER it keeps getting rejected!

1 comment:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

You make me feel better, Ciar. :) I guess we're all the same--no matter how many times we look at the words, when we go back, something's wrong.

Sigh.