Thursday, June 22, 2006

Stupid Owl

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
1,150 / 10,000
(11.5%)


story for Lusty League AmberPax



A couple of weeks ago, I was doing some surfing online late at night, and I heard an owl outside. Which was amazing, because we're not exactly in an owl area. I was delighted. Over the next several days, the owl returned, ocassionally hooting a lot, ocassionally just once. But it tickled me that he/she was coming back. My desk is right next to the window to our back yard, so I figured he was in the big tree just outside.

Two nights ago? I discovered just how stupid I am.

It wasn't an owl. It was JK Rowling.

Here's what happened.

Most nights, one of the last things I do is read all my favorite blogs and stuff. I started going to JK Rowling's site every day because she updates it very infrequently, but if she puts up a new diary post, you can't access any old diary posts. At least, I haven't figured out how to. When her page opens, you click on the language you want to surf the site in, and that opens in a new window. It always takes a little while to load, so I click back to the first window.

Now, her site has sound. A radio. Cars passing by an open window. And, yes, an owl.

You know how I figured it out? The other day, I went to her site when the sun was still up.

Man, I'm dim.

6 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

LOL!

I don't know why the counter looks so weird.

I did forget to put what it was for, though.

Trish said...

lol Natalie,

I can so see that happening to me. And I'd LOVE to have an owl move into my neighborhood. Somehow bats, which we have already, just don't give off the same warm and fuzzy feelings.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

You're right, Theresa, but I love bats anyway. I think it's beautiful the way they can fly so silently, and so acrobatically. I wish we had some of them, too...

Trish said...

Hey!!

I'll box some up and send them to you. (grin) We've got plenty of them. I can spare a few.

MJFredrick said...

LOLOL!

I thought hearing an owl meant someone was going to die. I did hear an owl at my old house, though. When I went out to see him, he flew away. He was HUGE!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Uh...thanks, Theresa, but maybe I'll just put up a bat box on the tree in the back yard, instead. LOL

Mary, that's SUCH an old wive's tale. I didn't know you were so superstitious. :)