Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bonus Hero: Teddy Beaudine

After we’d planned out all the posts for this month, I read Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t slide Ted Beaudine into the competition. Doing The Right Thing is what makes Ted heroic, and it’s also his biggest flaw.

I won’t talk about this too much because the book is still newish and I don’t want to spoil anything. But Ted’s a case of taking a positive trait to extremes. He’s so perfect, he admits to imperfection just to make people feel better about their own value. He became mayor because that’s what the townspeople want—even though he didn’t run for the office. Watching him always make the right choice is very annoying for someone like Meg Koranda, who never seems to.

Like I said, I won’t go into more details because I don’t want to ruin the story, but I had to add Teddy to the competition. :) We can discuss his almost knee-jerk do-the-right-thing response to any situation in the comments, so beware of spoilers! And commenters today DO still get entered into the competition (for $25 in Omni Bucks from All Romance eBooks/OmniFic), so post away!

3 comments:

Misty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Misty said...

Gah, there were so many typos in my comment that I had to delete and try again!

As I was saying... I'll have to pick up that book. I can see how that kind of heroics could be annoying to someone who always seems to be on the wrong side of a decision. I love when the heroic trait is then shown as the flaw.

Misty

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

You're so funny. I thought you were messing with me. :)

There's a lot of humor and deep emotion to be mined out of a story like that, and SEP does both. :)