Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Promise I Won't Talk About My Eyes Anymore...

...after this post.

Because DUDE.

I'm three weeks post op now. I mentioned before that right after the surgery, I kept thinking that I was seeing the same as I used to with my contacts, but had to remind myself that I'd see that way ALL the time.

I was wrong.

Did you ever have the windshield of a fairly old car (a few years old, at least) get cracked and have to be replaced? Isn't it awesome to look through the clear glass, without the tiny scratches and pits you didn't realize you were seeing through for a long time?

That's what my vision is like now. Even better—it's like the whole world has been airbrushed. There's a soft clarity to everything. I marvel every time I look down at my desk and back up at the computer screen. Leaves on the trees and street signs and my kids' faces are gorgeous. It's turned my mood into perpetual happiness.

I think the left eye has caught up, or close to it. My dryness has diminished to where I go long stretches feeling comfortable. If I put in the artificial tears too much, in an effort to avoid dryness, they irritate my eyelids, drying out and tightening the skin and having the same effect as dry eyeballs do. So I'm working on a balance between letting the orbs dry out and drying out the skin.

Okay, that's enough about that. I promise not to bore you with my LASIK joy anymore. :)

Number Two scored her second goal of the season last night! I mention it because Number One was on a school field trip and missed the game where her sister scored the team's first goal of the season, and her own first goal in many years (she played goalkeeper and defense for a long time). So yesterday, Number Two almost had an assist, but her teammate shot slightly wide of the goal. Number One went into a five-minute rant in the second half about how her sister had BETTER score another goal this season. And then she did! Shut Number One up right quick. :)

The next, oh, four months are going to be insane. We have:
  • a trip to Ithaca, NY, to visit the college
  • The Avengers, home opener for the City Islanders, a wedding, and the prom all on the same weekend
  • Mother's Day
  • J going to Vegas, overlapping my retreat
  • a trip to Burlington, VT, to visit Champlain
  • vacation to Orlando
  • a trip to Cleveland
  • a day trip to Baltimore
  • a weekend family reunion in MA, with another couple of visits to colleges in Amherst
I have a deadline in there, too, so I'm going to stop here and get back to writing. Since tomorrow I take a trip to see my grandpa for lunch! :)

What are you looking forward to in the next few months?

Tomorrow I have lunch with my grandpa. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Ava Quinn said...

I am greatly looking forward to . . . RETREEEEEEEAT!!!! I can't wait!!!

Glad to hear all that good stuff, Natalie. You deserve it!

M3

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

RETREEEEEAAAAT!!!!

*does the dance of retreat excitement with Ava*

Thanks, A! :)

MJFredrick said...

So much to look forward to--the end of the school year, another trip to Minnesota to see my dad, our 25th anniversary trip (delayed from January).

I'm working up the nerve to follow in your footsteps:)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

That's really good stuff, MJ. :) Congratulations on 25 years, since I think I missed it back in January.

*gifts nerve on MJ* Do it!!!