Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mirror Mirror in the Woods

Today was Number Two's birthday celebration. Tomorrow she turns 13, but she has a soccer game and homework and stuff, so we went to lunch and a movie today.

We saw Mirror Mirror, which turned out to be very funny, quite aware of its ridiculousness, and full of charm thanks to the fantastic acting of Julia Roberts, Nathan Lane, Armie Hammer, and the 7 dwarves. (The one who was also in Pirates...wait, let me look him up...Martin Klebba! He's pretty hot.) Lily Collins was good, too.

The story twisted the original fairy tale just right. I don't want to ruin any of the twists for those who will go see it or rent it, but it kept most of the elements without following the storyline to a tedious degree. And all four of us enjoyed it, something difficult with 40-something guy, a 40-something chick, a nearly 17-year-old, and a not-quite-13-year-old.

Later, I went by myself to see Cabin in the Woods. The EW review had said something like it was clever and twisty and well acted, but too funny and smart and not enough scary. Perfect for me! And, of course, I have a history of being deeply in love with stuff by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, so I was pretty optimistic going in.

And it was clever and smart and funny (very funny!) and well acted. I might have raised my expectations just a bit too much as far as the twistiness goes. When you know there are twists, you look for them. Even though I didn't really predict them, they didn't always seem that big. But then, some things I should have seen coming really shocked me.

The best part, though, was how well everyone fit together. We had some of the usual Whedonites, some well-known talents, and some newbies, and there was definite chemistry in every part of the film. The ending was extremely gory, for anyone looking for that. I also heartily recommend this one! :)

So how about you? Seen any good movies lately? Planning on going soon? Next up for me might be The Avengers. I'm SO looking forward to that one and have such high expectations, I"m bound to be disappointed by it. LOL

2 comments:

Lisa Kessler said...

Oh I enjoyed MIrror Mirror too!!! :)

And all the shots were so beautiful!

I'm looking forward to Dark Shadows & Snow White and the Huntsman too!

Lisa

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Yes, those are definitely on my list! Johnny Depp looks hilarious, and I think I can get past Kristin Stewart because Charlize Theron looks fantastic, as does the epic scale of the Huntsman, and...well, it's Chris Hemsworth. LOL