Friday, December 08, 2006

Guh

No, I can't manage a more intelligent subject than that. I just finished watching last night's episode of Supernatural.

Guh about sums it up.

Okay, let's gloss over the logic leaps in the beginning and the clumsy way they showed us the phones weren't working (Sam takes a teeny bit of information and wants to call for help, and Dean says OKAY????). The external plots have not always been the show's strong suit and are mainly something you need to say "eh" about when it doesn't click perfectly. Because you know soon they're going to get to the good stuff: Kicking Ass and Being Brothers.

SPOILERS (Highlight to read white text)

I loved that Sam was all brave and strong ("Just give me my gun and leave. I'll do it.") until Dean refused to leave, and then he cried.

I loved all the amazing hero shots. The cinematography was excellent. That upward angle when they came down the steps of the Stepford House? Guh.

The terrible, terrible moment, with all those (TOTALLY TOO MANY) finger-tightenings on the trigger, when we didn't know if Dean was going to shoot the guy or not. He couldn't, we knew he couldn't, but they set it up so that we knew damn well he COULD, and all I could think about was that I was going to find a way to rationalize it being okay.

The story writing might have weaknesses, but the characterization is flawless, and the show's strength is that every actor they cast is fabulous. From the scared nurse to the tough Marine to the fishing-boy-turned-possessed-by-demon-spawn. But mostly, in the two small scenes between brothers. With Dean determined not to let Sammy die alone, and Sam upset that his brother is willing to die with him. And Dean tired, so tired, and ready to give up, which some people have mentioned as out of character, because he's always so ready to kick ass. I think it's very in character--how many of us feel despair from, like, having to prepare three meals a day or clean the house, never mind dealing with evil every single day? And Sam as upset by Dean's despair as he is about the expectation that he will die. No sappiness. No sentimentality. Just emotion that will break your heart.

Loved Dean squealing around in the Impala. And then GIVING IT FREAKIN' AWAY because in his mind, he doesn't need it anymore.

Guns. I hate guns in real life, but when Sam and Dean are wielding them...guh to the ultimate.

Someone commented that Dean blasted the father away, but Sam wouldn't shoot the son. I don't think it's that big a deal. The father was coming at them with a big-ass knife. The son was running away. I'd have a hard time shooting someone in the back, too. I don't think Dean would have taken that shot if it had been him, even if he thinks he would have.

Now, the final scene. I was kicking myself for being foolish enough to think they would ACTUALLY do the big reveal in this episode. Of COURSE they're going to cliffhanger us! Especially if they're off until late January (anyone know for sure when it's coming back???) I SCREAMED when they went to black. I thought he'd give one line, like "He's not your father" or something, and we wouldn't get the explanation until later. But they didn't tell us ANYTHING.

Poor Sammy, having to wait weeks and weeks for his answer.

Poor US.

7 comments:

MJFredrick said...

I am with you on all this! I CRIED when Dean said he'd stay and when he GAVE AWAY THE IMPALA. (Even my son loves the Impala.)

I thought they would tell, too.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Good, I don't feel so stupid. LOL

I forgot to mention the part where Dean and Sarge confront each other. I LOVED that:

"Put down the guh!"
"You put down the gun!"
"ARe you one of them?"
"No, are you?"
"No!"
"You could be lying!"
"So could you!"

And then they get in the car with weapons on each other and suspicious looks on their faces.

Also:

"You have a neighbor named Mr. Rogers?"
"Not anymore."

MJFredrick said...

I could have done without the Lindsey Lohan line though. SHUDDER!

I have a theory about what John might have said, though. I think Sam's time is short, which might be why Dean wants to live for today.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Yeah, I agree about the LL line. It wasn't in character--it felt like a writer thing.

Don't tell me any more about your theory! I don't want to speculate at all.

Trish Milburn said...

I was about to scream at the TV when they left us hanging too.

Victoria said...

Hopefully they still show reruns during the hiatus. (?!) That'll give me a chance to get caught up with the second season.

And yeah! Poor us!
Loved the Mr. Rogers line!

I am so thrilled you got me hooked on this show!! Thank you!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

They will, but it won't be necessary for you to catch up that way.

I'll say no more or spoil everything.

I'm glad we got you hooked, too! It's very exciting to me!

Ha! I JUST saw my typo in my first comment: "Put down the guh!"

AHAHAHAHAHA

This show fries my brain.