Monday, July 09, 2007

It's Not a Competition

There's something that's been bothering me for a long time. It's getting worse. And most of my friends do it, so any of them who read this are going to think I'm a superior bitch (and not in a good way) for saying it. Which is why I haven't. But now it's reached a critical mass and I can't stand it so I have to say it.

It's called National. Not Nationals.

National is short-hand for "Romance Writers of America 27th Annual National Conference." It's a national organization. There's no "s" in any of that, so I just don't get where it comes from. Nationals to me is a high-level swim competition. Or maybe gymnastics. Such competition is a series of events, like the Olympics, so the plural makes a little more sense. But RWA National is A conference. Just one.

It probably bugs everyone else when they say "I can't wait for Nationals" and I say "I can't go to National until next year." And obviously, if 85% of the people are already using the illogical plural, it's going to become the official phraseology.

Just not for me. Because I am a superior bitch. Even if it's not in the good way.

3 comments:

MJFredrick said...

You know, I hadn't noticed till you said something.

Now it's driving me crazy, too ;)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Woo hoo!!!

MJFredrick said...

LOL!