Thursday, September 06, 2007

Kyle Revisited

Nearly three months ago I wrote a post about the TV show Kyle XY. The comments don't indicate what date they were posted for some reason (maybe my template code?) but the last two were posted this week. So I thought I'd revisit the topic and address the some of those comments.

I agree with a lot of what the last Anonymous said. If you read my original post, it's clear most of my annoyance was with the creative team's attitude, not the show itself. I liked the second season better than the first, and the season finale was better than last season's.

I still find the voiceover redundant and unnecessary. I didn't like Tom Foss--but I'm not sure I was supposed to. Kyle's struggle for balance was definitely compelling, but I actually found Declan's struggle even more so. I think Chris Olivero's a more seamless actor than Matt Dallas. Some actors you can see the mask they are laying over themselves; some internalize the character and don't seem to be acting. But probably my favorite storyline has been Josh and Andy.

Anon says, "I thinks its sad when people see a family that cares for each other and consider it corny. That probably shows how dysfunctional and cynical people have become."

I got defensive when I read that because I don't think the show is corny. Then I realized A) another commenter used the word "corny," and B) my statement that the show would continue with the love and resentment showered by the Tragers could be construed as critical, rather than a simple statement. I love the Tragers and I think the kind of parenting and support they give their children is something real life could use more of.

So...season finale. There's no way we've seen the last of Jessi. I hope something happens to make Madacorp* and its boss less clichéd and one-dimensional. Or maybe they can get rid of that company, too (hopefully not by blowing more people up) and give us a totally different bad guy for Kyle to face. Because otherwise they could drag the Madacorp thing on and on ad nauseum and lose me. At the moment, though, I'm looking forward to January.

*Note: I've also been watching Dark Angel and the way they say "Mahdacore" is way too close to Manticore, which, for those of you who haven't seen DA, was a secret organization that genetically engineered humans--just like in Kyle XY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie, I think you are right, Jessi will be back. I think whoever she was modeled after betrayed Adam, thus she betrayed Kyle. I don't think she will be an allie. (it's late and I'm brain dead, I know that isn't spelled correctly.)
What's your take on Foss? You know, this is useless trivia, but I think he had a small part in the Burt Reynolds classic "Smokey and the Bandit." He's definately a friend to Kyle, but I believe he has more history.
Also, a few folks have commented on the voiceover, and think it's useless, but for the younger viewers like my 12 year-old, it's helpful. Kids don't analyze as quickly as adults, so it helps to keep them informed on the situations.
I'd love to find a season 3 spoiler; and it kills me to think we'll have to wait til spring of 08 to find out what's going to happen. Man! I'll have forgotten who Kyle is by then. Maybe next season will have more episodes.!!??

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I think whoever she was modeled after betrayed Adam, thus she betrayed Kyle.

Ooooh, I LOVE that theory! It makes a lot of sense! Can't wait to see if you're right.

And good point about the voiceover. I have to remember it's ABC FAMILY, not ABC For Natalie's Enjoyment. LOL

Foss, I don't know about. I keep going back and forth. Every time I want Kyle to give up on him, he does something selfless.