Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tron

So, I'm annoyed.


In 1982, I was 11 years old. I remember Tron, but I remember it iconically. I don't think I ever actually watched the movie. I get the basic premise, but that's it.

So we're about a month away from Tron: Legacy, and I want to see the original. Makes sense, no? I know the consensus is that it sucked, especially from the viewpoint of the future, and even people who love it unconditionally say it sucked. I don't care. I still want to see the sequel.

But I can't find it. Netflix doesn't have it, though it did a few months ago. I can buy used copies online, but I don't want to own it. I did find a listing at Disney for the 20th anniversary DVD, but you know what happens when I click "Buy It"? I'm brought to Disney's home page, which has no mention of Tron. I can't get it from my local Blockbuster or a Blockbuster Kiosk.

I thought maybe it was about to be reissued, so I did a search, and guess what I came up with?

Conspiracy.

Theories.

In the first link, commenters totally pooh-poohed the idea, saying Disney probably wants to release it at the same time as Legacy. Do these people not pay attention? No one puts out something they want to hit big without hyping it months in advance. There's no release date. No preorder options at Amazon or movie stores. The guy who remastered Tron doesn't know when it's supposed to come out.

So I'm buying into the conspiracy theory, and I'm annoyed, and maybe I'll skip the sequel just to get back at Disney for ticking me off. Who's with me?

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

In this economy, Disney probably needs the cash. I think you should reserve a pre-release copy just to help them out.
Think how far our imaginations and realities have come. From a movie about a guy stuck in a game to games being made into movies. And games so realistic they look like movies but you're controlling the action. Soon we'll all be able to enter the game and live 'Tron' for real.
(Too many reals and realistic in this comment. Perhaps that's why the word verification word is TRASH)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

There is no prerelease copy, that's my point!

I agree about all the imagination and reality stuff, that's why I wanted to see it! LOL

LOL on trash, too. Mine's venelent. No idea what that means. :)