Monday, December 27, 2010

Intentions

Look! I'm blogging two days in a row! Could it be the start of a trend? :)

I had all these topics I wanted to write about yesterday, and wimped out. Do you think I can remember most of them today? Hell, no! I turned 40 last week! Sheesh.

It's kind of funny. Everyone's picking on me, as they are wont to do when someone hits a "milestone" birthday. But I don't feel older. Duh. One day doesn't make you suddenly ancient.


But 40 doesn't bother me. I think I was ready for it a long time ago. 39 didn't fit so well. It helps that I'm not really showing it. I mean, I'm decrepit, but that's as much a function of being very out of shape as it is age. I have some sagging skin and a few fine lines that are worse when I'm tired or my skin is dry, but no real wrinkles. And there's that big streak of silver that seemed to appear in my hair overnight, but that happened a few months ago. So 40 is no big deal, really.

So here we are at the end of 2010. This last week of the year is traditionally kind of quiet, a good catch-up time. This year we have tickets for the Harlem Globetrotters. I've never seen them in person, so it should be cool. Number Two has a birthday sleepover another night, and then of course we have our New Year's Eve traditions. It shall include Glee Karaoke, Rock Band 3, and fondue.

I'll also get organized to launch an intense writing and promotion campaign. MJ Fredrick and I are planning a month-long promo in March, when we both have book releases, and I really need to get set up for that. I've been very silent over the last couple of months. Then I want to get a synopsis of Hummingbird written so I can start submitting it, and revise the Zoe book (currently untitled) to submit to Carina Press. Entanglement and my YA ghost book are nearly done, and I don't want to lose momentum on those. Samhain is doing a post-apocalyptic anthology and has a call for submissions. I didn't have any post-apoc ideas until I read MJ's thoughts on her blog, and an idea popped into my head. Now I really, really want to do it, but I have a world and a premise but no conflict or characters. Tricky to start that way. Soul of the Dragon needs to be formatted and uploaded, the sooner the better. I missed the holiday rush, but now all those people have new e-book readers... Then I have More Than You Know, an urban fantasy that I wrote for NaNo a few years ago and have yet to revise because there were so many books ahead of it. It's finally their turn!

Looks like I'm aiming for a busy 2011, writing-wise, if I can somehow manage to work that in around my day job and my freelance clients. Santa didn't bring the "more hours in a day" I asked for, again. *sigh*

Tomorrow I'll do a final look back at 2010 and will be happy to move on.

7 comments:

Ava Quinn said...

Happy birthday, bubeleh! I keep forgetting you share my mom's b-day. She says you're not old until your kids are collecting social security - so 40 does't count as old in her book!

You look great, kid, even though I haven't seen you in a few months. I hope your birthday celebration was wonderful!
M3

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Aw, thank you!

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Happy belated birthday! I forgot you were a holiday baby. I have characters, conflict and a premise but no ending for a post-apoc :) Put us together and we have a single story.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Thanks!

I don't think I have an ending, either, now that I think about it. Dammit.

Well, The Walking Dead doesn't have an ending, either...

MJFredrick said...

Hey, I inspired you! Yay! Or maybe not if it's stressing you :)

I'm feeling much the same as your overwhelming want-to-need-to-do list. I know January will be BUSY.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Definitely yay! The story is developing. I have characters and a plot/conflict now. :) I just need time to write it!

MJFredrick said...

I know just what you mean. And I go back to work in 2 days--won't be easy!