Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and His Calves

(I really should be writing. And I will be again, in just a moment. But that's how I neglected this blog in the first place, so I'm striving, once again, for better balance. So here we go!)

Last weekend, I snuck out for a couple of hours by myself—when my eyes couldn't handle the computer anymore—to see Premium Rush. You know, that bike movie with Joseph Gordon-Levitt? I've loved him since Third Rock from the Sun, and I'm always excited when he's in a new movie. Completely because of his acting, of course.

The movie, overall, was really good! It was a pure adrenaline rush. Several times, I found myself tapping my feet on the ground like I was pedaling along with the cyclists. It was nice to see a smaller movie that was about individual people with individual problems. Don't get me wrong, I love epic adventures with the fate of the world at stake, but Premium Rush delivered the same action with a much more personal focus, and almost no property destruction. Yeah, New York City came out of this virtually unscathed!

So often I get bored during chase scenes, and my mind wanders. That didn't happen this time. I don't know if it was because they kept the focus on the people in the chase instead of on all the cool stuff they could do, or because JGL is just that good at commanding attention. Probably both. There were plenty of stunts, and they were great, but JGL has enough charisma to render them unnecessary.

I spend a lot of time in the summer thinking about how fit soccer players are, but this movie reminded me that cyclists are, too. Besides being a great actor, Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives great calf. Go see for yourself!

2 comments:

Alana Noel Voth said...

I love JGL. Thanks for the info on Adrenaline Rush. Have you seen Mysterious Skin? My all time favorite JGL. XO.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Hi, Alana! Thanks for coming by!

I missed that one! I've just added it to my Netflix queue. My interest in JGL has always been of the "ooh, I like him, I'll go see that" variety. It's now moving into "devour everything he's ever done" territory. LOL