Friday, September 18, 2015

I'd Like to Punt-Kick Mercury Out of the Galaxy

Mercury, courtesy of NASA
I have a fairly moderate perspective on things that are non-scientific. Like astrology, numerology, tarot, etc. I find them interesting, and I believe there are plenty of influences we can't measure or truly understand. But I'm not a "believer" in the sense that I give such things much thought in my day-to-day life.

Except for Mercury.

Specifically, Mercury retrograde.

Once someone brought the phenomenon to my attention, it became very clear that this is A Thing. Did you have a misunderstanding with someone, and then you car broke down, followed by your dishwasher, and your e-mail is acting weird and the printer won't stop jamming for no reason? Check the dates. It's probably Mercury.

It amazes me how many people know what I'm talking about when I mention this, and believe in it. My husband thinks I'm insane, and my business colleague has been poking at me about it, but seriously. Every day this week has had multiple mechanical, electronic, and communication problems. People arguing about what a sentence means, when it's interpreted differently by different people. An e-mail in my inbox that made all the other e-mails unreadable until I deleted it. E-mails not sending. Malwarebytes warning me every other day that Facebook has been blocked as a malicious website, alternating with Chrome and Skype. Projects being done by committee (via e-mail, no less) where nothing can be completed because every time we get close to done, someone has a new idea that completely contradicts everyone else's ideas.

It's enough of A Thing that International Business Times did an article on it this week.

I'm sure kicking Mercury out of the galaxy would just make things worse, but ugh. How is Mercury affecting your life this week?

No comments: