Thursday, July 31, 2008

RWA Day 2

Wednesday, for possibly the first time since my first conference in 2000, I had nothing official scheduled. Usually I do the Chapter President's Retreat (called something else this year, I forget what) but I'm not leadership anymore, so I skipped that and spent the whole day sightseeing.

We went down to Fisherman's Wharf, saw the sea lions, walked the pier, and took pictures of Alcatraz. We were supposed to go to Alcatraz, but they sold out long before we tried to get ferry tickets, so that didn't work out. Majorly bummed.

But I got to hang out with people I see once a year, or once every two years, and it was delightful. We also took a trolley tour of the city, which was awesome. We saw the crookedest street and Nob Hill and just some great views and neighborhoods. I took lots of cool pictures and will post them when I get home.

I got a little writing and editing done both Tuesday and Wednesday, which keeps me (kind of) in the weekly challenge. OH! And I saw tons of people I love to see every year, like Trish Milburn and Sherry Davis and her friend Mary who I always recognize and whose last name I also always fail to remember. I won't name more because my brain isn't firing on all cylinders and I'll miss some and insult people. At least this way they can be insulted by my deliberate decision not to list more names, not by an inadvertent and therefore more painful forgetfulness.

Wednesday is also known as The Day I Blew My Budget. Sightseeing and souvenir-buying and an expensive but wonderful lunch plus the way-too-much I spent at the Literacy Signing were the culprits. But hey, the 520 authors at the signing made over $58,000 for charity in two hours, so that's pretty impressive. And I was a great part of it.

Finished the day at a wine party in Cathy McDavid's room. Met some more new people. Yawned a lot, irritating Cathy during her stories. Went to bed at a decent(!) hour.

Thursday, Day 3, is the official start to the conference. Stay tuned!

No comments: