Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Aliens Among Us

I went out to the curb a few minutes ago to put some trash in our brand-new, never-used, gigantic new trash can.

It rained last night/this morning, so the can was wet. On top of it, inside beads of water, were clusters of one to three maggot-like worms. I don't think they were maggots, though it's been a long time since I've seen any live, and never in water. They were tan, and had a bubble inside them. After I lifted the lid to put my trash in, the water ran off, but the worms stayed. A couple stopped moving, like they needed the water, but some went crawling like they were looking for another puddle. I was annoyed, because this is a BRAND NEW CAN, and I have NEVER seen anything like this around our garbage in the 11+ years we've lived here.

I came in, did some stuff, grabbed the camera, went back out, and...

They were gone.

Every single one had disappeared. They weren't on the sides of the can, or around the can, or in the can. So now I'm thinking they were an alien race in larval stage, and in the short time I was gone, they changed into their next stage, something bigger and more mobile.

Or birds ate them.

2 comments:

Ava Quinn said...

It was aliens. Definitely.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

That's kind of scary.