Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gender Busting

I recently learned about this site called The Gender Genie, where you can plug in some of your writing and it analyzes words like "if" and "around" to determine the writer's gender.

I was curious, because I often write from a male point of view in my books. I tested the first chapter of Hummingbird, a romantic adventure, and the analysis came out almost perfectly even, though the scale tipped in favor of female. That chapter is all in the male POV. So not as good as I'd like, but gratifying. A chapter in the heroine's POV was skewed way female. Another scene in a different guy's POV was also way female, and that bothered me, so I tested my blog posts.

The analysis works best on longer text, so I started with this one, and it guessed me male! I thought maybe it was skewed because I was recapping a show about guys, so I tried one of mine. This post had an even higher male score!

Part of me wants to say the algorithm is flawed, because come on. "When" is feminine and "who" is masculine? Who says? Part of me thinks it's because I'm more like a guy than a woman. You know, the whole hate-shopping, want-to-fix-more-than-listen stuff.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I would guess females with your level of confidence and take-charge attitude would come out with the skewed toward 'male' vibes. Probably the thing was designed by a male who doesn't understand the modern female's psychological characteristics.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Possibly. But it's really interesting that my fiction comes out female and my very personal writing comes out male. LOL