Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Music Tag

Mary tagged me with a Pop Culture meme! SO not the right meme for me. I sang songs, sure. But damned if I usually had any clue who was singing what, and when I hear some of my "favorites" now, I realize how few lyrics I actually ever knew. *sigh* Okay, here goes.

Here are the rules:

1. Go to this link at Pop Culture Madness (scroll down - see the list of years on the left?)

2. Pick the year you turned 18

3. Pick five songs from that year

4. Wax nostalgic about each song and why it’s special

5. Pass it on to 5 more friends

I turned 18 in December 1988

1. The Flame, Cheap Trick

Huh. This was a hit in 1988? I would swear I remember roller skating to this song during doubles with a guy I dated in junior high. It was a sweet moment, ruined when he let go of my hand because he immediately commented on how sweaty we were from holding hands. Hmmm. Maybe that was that Kenny Loggins song from that movie, instead. Or was that Kris Kristofferson?

2. Kokomo, The Beach Boys

I always liked the Beach Boys, but this song drove me INSANE my senior year of high school. It was the epitome of far too much air play. To this day, I can't listen to it.

Already, I'm having a hard time choosing a song that meant anything special to me, except one, and that one has to be last.

3. Look Away, Chicago

Chosen only because it was the #1 hit the week that ended on my birthday.

4. Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Poison

I suppose Poison was a "rock" band, but none of the "rock" songs on the list really seem to. This song, and Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N Roses, and the previously mentioned Cheap Trick are easily identifiable as 80s rock because the lead singers all wore really, really supertight pants--they had to, to get their voices that high. Most of the other music was bouncy and soft and lyrical. Now that I think about it, that's kind of how I felt that year. So I suppose it's fitting.

5. Wild, Wild West, Escape Club

After The Flame, this is my favorite of the weekly hits. I betcha you won't guess why. It's because it's so DIFFERENT from all the rest! Yes, when you listen, you can guess--even if you're a music dunce like me--what era it hails from. But the lyrics and the images and the instruments are all unique, and it endures even to today because of that.

Oh, wait. No, that's not completely right. It is my second favorite, and it is different, but I keep mixing it up with One Night in Bangkok. That's the one with the instruments and the images. And the one where you stand in the place where you live, now, face west--that one keeps playing in my head. But this one has the gunshot, so I still mean it.

See what I mean? Totally worthless.

Okay, let me tag some people who are completely the opposite and will have interesting and pithy things to say, and were born in different years so have different music from which to choose. Megan, Smith, Misty, Bicky, and Jody, have at it!

4 comments:

MJFredrick said...

LOLOL - that was fun, Natalie!!!

Victoria said...

I did it!
Check out my #5!! :)
V.

Trish Milburn said...

Hey, we were born in the same year. LOL on the pants comment.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

It was an excellent year, Trish. :)