Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Save Me!

Have you heard about Brenda Novak's 4th annual Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research?

In the first three years, her auction raised $250,000. Her goal this year is $300,000. The first $150,000 of that will go to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, while the additional proceeds above that will go to the Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami.

So obviously it's a good cause. I've always understood the basics of the disease, but recently had occasion to do some article writing on various aspects of it, and gained a much deeper appreciation for the constant care and vigilance it requires. I got exhausted just reading and writing about it. And both versions of the disease are on the rise, or so we're told.

This auction contains everything from custom-made jewelry to one-of-a-kind art, giant gift baskets to designer purses, tons of books, autographed sports and celebrity stuff, and guaranteed 24-hour reads by editors and agents. There will be a prize for the person who makes the most bids, and I...well, when I started bidding in the first week of the auction, I kinda went overboard.

I just bid on everything I thought was remotely cool. I figured there was still three weeks of bidding to go (the auction ends on 5/31) and there was no way I'd wind up with anything I'd bid on, never mind everything.

HAH!

While I have been outbid on 30 items totaling nearly $3800 (my limit bids for each item), I am still bidholder on 18 items totaling over $1400!

Help me!

Go here, register, and start perusing the items. Apparently I'm the only person brave enough to not hide behind a silly or coded username, so if you see Damschroder as the bidholder, PLEASE bid. For most items, you won't have to go very high to outbid me, and I'm too scared to bid again until I'm outbid on everything.

Good luck!

No comments: