Sunday, May 04, 2008

Tired

It's been a long weekend.

Friday night I went to a superb but noisy dinner and saw Made of Honor with my daughter and mother-in-law. It was enjoyable. A solid B. I think my favorite part was how the male friends stepped up to help him win her over. They were great.

Saturday was all angsty soccer stuff. I won't detail it, but suffice to say we were all unhappy, and it carried over with anxiety into today. Today's game was better, but the basic issue is unresolved.

On a positive soccer note, Number One played with only 8 players yesterday, against a full field of 11 plus four subs. They tied 2-2, which is amazing. More amazing, they would have won 1-0 if not for penalty kicks in the box.

Last night I was supposed to go out with my husband to see Iron Man. He didn't feel up to going, so I went with Number One. She's going to be 13 this summer, so we've decided she's mature enough to handle PG-13 movies (we've slowly increased her exposure). Both the movies she saw this weekend were heavy, though. Made of Honor had a lot of sexual references she hopefully didn't get, and Iron Man had intense violence. Not Lord of the Rings type mass violence, but personal, torture-style stuff. She seems fine, so I guess I can relax the Mommy Mode.

Anyway, I liked Iron Man a lot. I think, for once, the Entertainment Weekly review was right on. I lovelovelove Robert Downey Jr., and Gwyneth Paltrow made me not be indifferent to her. I picked out the villain the instant he appeared on the screen, though I did not identify him (the actor) until he actually spoke. That was weird. The suit is super-sexy, the humor and action and drama well-balanced. I wasn't thrilled with the lack of resolution in the romantic thread, but have high hopes. Fan-boy comic geeks ABSOLUTELY MUST stay through the end credits. And even if you're not a fan-boy comic geek. I have no knowledge of the Iron Man mythology, and it still excited me. :)

Despite feeling pretty crummy today (which caused me to bag out on a birthday party this evening, for which I feel supremely guilty), I got some housecleaning done. Now I feel crummier, despite being pleased with the condition of my house for once. I also unboxed our new lawn mower and attached the handle. Number Two and I tried it out, briefly. It's an old-fashioned reel mower, and I LOVE it!

First, no gas, so lots and lots of money saved, especially now. Second, no walking along in a cloud of exhaust, knowing I'm killing the planet in six different ways. Third, it cuts the grass so cleanly there's no crushing, which means no green juice ruining my shoes. It takes a little more muscle to move it, but it's lightweight so it's a lot easier to maneuver around obstacles and turn around and stuff. I may try to mow tomorrow, if my workload stays manageable. So far, it's trying to turn this week into the same as the last three. *sigh*

Early night for me tonight. Hopefully I'll get rid of this headache...

2 comments:

MJFredrick said...

My Iron Man feelings match yours - including not being able to identify the actor till he spoke!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Of course! There was that one glitch with the favorite episodes stuff, but other than that, our tastes are like twins! LOL

I keep forgetting...are you going to National? I MUST meet you finally!